Due to its wise immigration policies, Singapore has become the business and commercial hub in Southeast Asia. It has deliberately adapted its policies so as to attract experienced and educated businessmen and qualified professionals from all over the world.
Entry to visit
All travelers are required to go through an immigration clearance upon arrival into Singapore, in order to be granted visit passes by immigration officers at the point of entry.
Required documents and status
- A valid passport and sufficient funds plus onward/return tickets and visas, disembarkation and embarkation card.
- The period of stay shown on the social visit pass endorsed by the visitor’s passport.
- Valid arrival endorsement on passports and number of days stay.
- Visitors holding visit passes are not permitted to engage in any form of business, profession, occupation or paid employment while in Singapore.
- Overstaying is a punishable offense.
Five different work passes are issued to applicants.
Employment Pass (EP)
Permitted for company owners or skilled employees who will be working in Singapore with a monthly salary of over SGD $3,000 and holder of a degree for a reputable university. Valid for 1-2 years and renewable upon continuing employment. A holder can apply for permanent residence.
Entrepreneur Pass (Entre Pass)
A pass allowed for owners of newly incorporated companies who wish to relocate to Singapore. Valid for 1 year, but renewable while the company remains viable. Holders are eligible to apply for permanent resident status.
A pass issued to mid-skilled employees who can earn a fixed monthly salary of at least S$2,000. It is valid for 1-2 years at the discretion of the authorities and renewable thereafter as long as the applicant continues employment with the employer. Holders may apply for permanent residence status.
Personalized Employment Pass (PEP)
A pass permitted for professionals who wish to work in Singapore. Valid for 3 years but is not renewable. Holders may change jobs but must find another within 6 months and cannot start a company. Holders may apply for permanent resident status.
Miscellaneous Work Pass (MWP)
A pass issued to foreigners working in Singapore on a short-term stint such as seminars, conference, workshops. It also issued to Religious representatives or foreign journalists or reporters with accompanying crew not sponsored by the Singapore government. Holders cannot apply for permanent residence status.
Entry for academic pursuits
A student wishing to enter Singapore to pursue further education must have an approval to enter an educational institution in Singapore.
The student must:
- Have equivalent grades and possess the aptitude and desire to work in Singapore after completing studies.
- Have a Student Pass for Singapore in his/her possession.
- Provide documentation to support his/her application for a student Pass to Singapore.
- Submit photographs, proof of education grades and financial support.
- Entry for residence.
When a holder of passes (except MWP holders) applies for an entry permit, they are automatically deemed as applicants for permanent status.
Those qualified to apply include:
- Spouse and unwed children (under 21) of a Singapore citizen
- Aged parents of a Singapore citizen
- Holders of passes entitled to apply for permanent resident status